We believe exposure and development are the correct methods to pipeline more first-generation and diverse leaders into the workforce and leading academic programs. During our three-year cohort program, we focus on long-term development and preparation for effective social and professional engagement. Once our student leaders graduate college, they will be prepared to enter top graduate/professional schools and lead at their best potential.
1) Each year we select a cohort of first-generation and diverse rising college sophomores. Each Ambassador commits to our cohort program for three years (through senior graduation).
2) Each Ambassador attends 9 National Impact Summits throughout the Fellowship (Each Fall, Spring, Summer).
3) Each summer the Ambassadors obtain an internship that challenges and strengthens their personal and professional development.
4) Each year Ambassadors will engage various Campus-based, Community-based, and National projects to enhance their strategic planning, writing, and critical thinking.
5) Ambassadors undergo strategic preparation for graduate/professional admissions tests and admissions processes.
The Leadership Brainery seeks students who:
Are innovative leaders and change agents in their colleges and/or communities
Demonstrate commitment to diversity within their school and/or community
Show dedication to hard work, equity, justice, leadership, and unity
Demonstrate interest in graduate/professional school
Are interested in graduate/professional school
To be eligible, a college freshman must:
Be nominated by at least one of the following:
a college official (Administrator, Faculty, or Staff)
a community-based organization
or, themselves (explanation required).
Nominated student must be completing freshmen year in college (fellows must also have completed one year of education at an accredited 4-year college/university by the beginning of the fellowship program in July 2019)
Nominated student must be a diverse (racial/ethnic minority) and/or first-generation college student
Nominated student must be an active member of a student or community organization
Selection Process (Rolling recruitment)
January 10, 2019 - Nomination of student leaders for The LB NIS Fall 2019 starts
March 1, 2019 - Phase 1: Select students are invited to submit Personal Statement and Proof of Leadership (New Nominations are still accepted)
May 1, 2019 - Select students are invited to Phase 2 - video interview with The LB
June 14, 2019 - Nomination of student leaders ends
June 25, 2019 - Student application closes
June 30, 2019 - Last day to submit academic transcript
July 25, 2019 - Fellows are selected to join The Leadership Brainery 2019 Cohort